Corner of Hamilton St & West St (Old Route 66)
Across from St. Paul’s Church is an entrance to a 1937 pedestrian tunnel under Route 66, known locally as the “subway”. The entrance was sealed in the 1950s. The first 3 steps and the railing were replaced in the spring of 2006 by the Route 66 Association of Illinois. The fact that this tunnel was a necessity to safely cross Route 66 is a surprise to anone standing on the quiet corner today. It is a dramatic reminder of the importance of Route 66 as a national travel corridor.